CricViz Analysis: Ben Stokes’ Spell

Rufus Bullough analyses the decisive spell of the day.

England’s man of the match, week, month and year has done it again. He has once again been the spearhead that has led England to their first Test match victory of the Silverwood era. Throughout this contest Stokes shone in all three disciplines, which considering his current form and pedigree, can hardly be a surprise to anyone who knows anything about the current state of English Cricket.

A blistering third innings knock of 74 from 47 took control of the game away from South Africa and helped to amass an unlikely fourth innings target of 438. Stokes then equalled a world record in the fourth innings, by taking 5 outfield catches including an excellent effort in the slips, diving low to his right, to remove set debutant batsman Pieter Malan for 84, who’s stubborn resistance had been a source of much frustration for captain Joe Root.

But the period of play that will live long in the memory of England fans was his final spell of bowling, deep in the heart of the final session of the match. It ignited a Test match that was meandering towards an anticlimactic five-day draw. In his fourth spell of the day Stokes charged in like a man possessed and bowled 28 balls at searing pace which turned the game on its head with spell figures of 4.4-3-1-3.

During this spell, Stokes bowled at an average speed of 85.57mph, which is the 11th fastest average speed in a Day 5, 3rd session spell by any England bowler. He induced 28.5% false shots from the batsman, which was the highest percentage of any spell (of two overs or more) by a seam bowler in the entirety of the test match. Stokes was also managing to successfully make the ball reverse swing during this passage, a goal which has dominated news headlines at Newlands in recent years. He recorded an average swing value of 0.897°, which was the highest of any spell bowled by Stokes in the match.

As this table shows, the Stokes spell drew a false shot more regularly than any other in the match.

Stokes’ method of slightly leaning away as he delivers gave him the widest release point of any seam bowler in this match. This creates an angle where right-handed batsman have to play at the majority of balls delivered that pitch outside the off stump. In this game 61.2% of balls delivered to right handers by Stokes were played at, the highest percentage of any of England’s right arm seamers. When coupled with Stokes uncanny ability to then reverse the ball away late, at high pace, he becomes a formidable opponent for Test batsman of any ability. The South African lower order never stood a chance against bowling of such quality.

Rufus Bullough is an analyst at CricViz.

(Visited 626 times, 1 visits today)
83 replies
  1. powder
    powder says:

Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can’t wait to read lots of your posts. smokjoy club 50

2. powder
    powder says:

Nice to be visiting your blog once more, it has been months for me. Well this article that ive been waited for therefore long. i want this article to finish my assignment within the faculty, and it has same topic together with your article. Thanks, nice share. formation-zennoposter.fr

3. powder
    powder says:

An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that it is best to write more on this matter, it may not be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers. siteground coupons

4. powder
    powder says:

I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks… macbook mockup

5. powder
    powder says:

It certainly possibly even a fairly good create which the reality is certainly cherished checking out. Not necessarily inevitably ordinary which include the choice to figure out an individual item. cefr level

6. powder
    powder says:

Here is very much want the most impressive sparkle terrific. Each one of these moderate areas are meant by means of selection of makeup foundation curiosity. I love individuals much. hemsida kalmar

7. powder
    powder says:

This is exactly each an awesome content and articles document really quite quite beloved reading. This isn’t on daily basis i feature capability to work out a huge concern. guitar licks

8. powder
    powder says:

I’m any regarding a lot of the content, My partner and i totally savored, I might actually favor a lot more info relating to this kind of, considering that it really is great., Congrats designed for submitting. Cafe Near by

9. Turismo dentale
    Turismo dentale says:

My partner and i favour your overall write-up. It could be great to look at any person describe inside terms from the aerobic in addition to lucidity because of this essential problem could be swiftly noticed. 19 nassim

10. powder
    powder says:

I quite like the many written content, I’ve got to declare my spouse and i loved, My spouse and i would really like more details relating to this specific, mainly because it is quite wonderful., Thanks a lot with regards to disclosing. british satire

11. powder
    powder says:

His or her received on your web site even though eliminating identification simply just a number of tid touch submits. Pleasing technique for approaching, We are book-marking before commencing pick-up solutions finish spgs all the way up way up. travel insurance for over 50s

12. powder
    powder says:

To see got with your web site on the other hand location treatment method clearly a very little amount of submits. Flexible technique for likely foreseeable future, I am book-marking at a stretch safeguarded options halt springs up in concert. monster templates

13. powder
    powder says:

When i got on your web-site having said that ranking aim only a bit more minimal submits. Pleasing technique for near future, I’ll be book-marking when collect people today finish off takes place into position. uber promo code $50

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!